Friday, January 25, 2013

Exit Ticket Strategy

The Exit Ticket Strategy allows students an opportunity to write down what they learned from the day's lesson(s) and may be used in a variety of ways.
 
Until this week, I had been doing verbal exit tickets to monitor my students' learning.  As my class would line up to go home, I'd turn to each one and have them tell me one thing they learned throughout the day.  No one could repeat a statement.  If a child said something like, "I learned how to add fractions with common denominators," I would give them a problem to solve or have them give me an example.  This took way too long, so I decided to use Post-It Notes as my Exit Tickets.
 
I transformed the inside of my classroom door so my students have a place to put their tickets before they leave:
Each of my students have a number assigned to them.  At the end of the day, the students are given 2-5 minutes to complete their Exit Ticket and then they stick it over their number.  This way, I can quickly see who has finished and who hasn't. 
I don't grade the Exit Tickets; they simply help me check for understanding and allow me to see which lesson the students found most memorable.
For more ideas on how to use Exit Tickets, click HERE.  For more information, plus printable Exit Tickets, click HERE.  

No comments:

Post a Comment